This page contains links to various sites that I think are worth a look. Not all of them relate directly to audio or theatre; some reflect personal interests in other subjects!Effects libraries online. Not an exhaustive list, just the most comprehensive ones..Audiosparx
- online effects and production music library (with quite a few of my sound effects.) Pay by effect.Soundsnap - online effects library and music loops and stings (with quite a few of my sound effects.) Subscription payment system.The Sound Effects Library - massive online effects library which includes the entire BBC stock. Pay per effect - UK Based.Sound Dogs - another massive online effects library which includes the Soundstorm, Airborne Sound, Blastwave, Sound Ideas & Hollywood Edge libraries. Pay per effect - USA based
- Association Of British Theatre TechniciansAudio Engineering Society
- Professional association for anyone working in or studying audio. Association Of Sound Designers
- Newly formed professional association for theatre sound designers in the UK. IATSE
- International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists & Allied Crafts. (USA-based despite the title.)OISTAT - International Organisation of Scenographers, Theatre Architects and TechniciansUnited Scenic Artists Local USA 829 - Representing sound designers on Broadway.USITT - USA Organisation for theatre design, production and technology. Software Companies:
Stuff I use, so mostly Mac-basedSteinberg
- Makers of Cubase and Nuendo DAW systems and accessorie
s.AVID - The ProTools PeopleQLab - Superb Audio, Video and Show Control Systems for Macintosh Computers. Richmond Sound Design - Charlie Richmond is the Godfather of Show-Control and he makes excellent control systems.Reaper - Low-cost, versatile DAWSoundminer - Sound effects and music database management softwareTwisted Wave - Great editor with excellent batch-processing facilitiesWave Editor - Editor and CD Preparation Software. Audiofile Engineering make some other great programs.Hardware Companies: Again, stuff I use.
AKG - Microphones and headphones.
Apple - computers and stuff.
Beyerdynamic - Microphones, wireless microphones, headphones, communications headsets.
BSS - Soundweb, audio distribution, loudspeaker management, processing and accessories.
Glyph - Portable hard-drives.
Metric Halo - Superb audio interfaces and audio software and the best customer service.
Rycote - The best windshield and microphone suspension solutions
Schoeps - The best microphones.
Sennheiser - The best microphones as well - UK site.
Sony - Nice microphones and headphones - UK Professional Site.
Sound Devices - Superb location recording hardware.
Soundfield - Surround Microphones and accessories.
Other sites of interest:
ML407 - The Grace Spitfire - All to do with the fabulous Grace family and the Mk IX Spitfire they look after. Go and join the club.
Live Design Magazine - What it says on the tin - plus quite a few articles by me.
Gearslutz - Largely populated by opinionated egotists, but you can find some useful information if you’re careful.
BBC - Why wouldn’t you go there? Information and brilliant programmes.
Steve Brown’s ListenHear Site - An eclectic and fascinating collection of links, sounds, information and good sound stuff
John Kilgore Studios - John runs a superb small studio in the heart of New York’s Theatre District. My go-to guy when I’m in the city